Pour arrêter le massacre, séparer les forces rebelles des forces gouvernementales, l'ONU est prête à envoyer 5 500 nouveaux Casques bleus
- In Rwanda the massacres continue and some even put forward today the figure of 200,000 dead. For many others, around 500,000, it is an exodus. And if they escaped violent death, it was slow death in refugee camps in border countries.
- Rwanda-Tanzania, the border between these two countries is a real sieve that calls for help. More than 300,000 Rwandan refugees had this chance, if you can call it a chance, to escape the massacres, a violent death.
- But here, a slow death awaits them: cholera, dysentery, typhoid, hepatitis, polluted water is deadly. So a real race against time has begun to save what can still be saved. A titanic job. Purified water is distributed drop by drop: one liter per day and per person. But it would take 10 liters for each person to make healthy living feel meaningful again.
- Charitable Tanzania, ruthless Kigali. It is still just as risky and perilous to approach the Rwandan capital. Roadblocks every 100 meters, often drunken militiamen driving the traffic with guns drawn. We can fall in Kigali for a yes or a no.
- Between 200,000 and 500,000 Rwandans have died since the beginning of April. To stop this massacre, to separate the rebel forces from the government forces, the UN is ready to make a small effort: send 5,500 new blue helmets. But where, when, how? On this, the United States and the UN Secretary General have a hard time agreeing. While they take their time in New York, we find death in Rwanda.