- A French soldier was seriously injured in the chest yesterday afternoon [July 17] near Goma.
- Goma where tens of thousands of Rwandan refugees continue to flow. Yesterday [July 17], three shells exploded on the border between Zaire and Rwanda. There were over a hundred deaths.
- At the border this morning, the spectacle is unbearable. At least 60 dead litter the ground. Some wounded that no one comes to help. Many women, many children, all civilians, all refugees who were trying to escape the fighting in Gisenyi.
- The crowd was very dense at the end of the afternoon when shells fell on the Zairian side. Firing error or deliberate action, the toll could only be very heavy: because of the splinters but also the panic that followed.
- In the distance, some shots resound but the battle is over and no one crosses the border. Gisenyi fell.